Skip to main content

Emerald Beaut Plum Jam

Emerald Beaut Plums and Dinosaur Egg Pluots
 from the Silver Lake Farmers' Market
The end of summer is quickly approaching, which also means stone fruit season is almost over. My goal is to preserve as much of this summer sweetness as I can. Erin needed strawberries for her first batch of jam, so we met up and went to the Silver Lake Farmers' Market. I bought two pounds each of Emerald Beaut Plums and Dinosaur Egg Pluots to put up in jars. The plums turn a bright yellow as they boil. They also break down quite rapidly; I will chop them into quarters next time so they retain some of their shape.

Emerald Beaut Plum Jam
Yield: about 5 half pints
5 cups (2 lbs.) coarsely chopped Emerald Beaut Plums
3 cups sugar
3/4 cups water

Combine plums, sugar, and water in a large saucepot. Slowly bring to a boil while stirring to dissolve sugar. Cook rapidly to gelling point, stir frequently to prevent sticking. Skim foam. Ladle hot jam into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace, adjust two-piece caps, process 15 minutes in a boiling water bath.


Wash
Roughly chop
Cook to gelling point
Ladle jam into jars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Say Cheese! Aged Cashew Brie

The selection of vegan cheeses available is expanding, but is still limited to a few overpriced mozzarella and cheddar varieties, which always upset my stomach. The September/October Cheese Issue of VegNews  inspired me to search for cultured nut cheese recipes and I found a couple from Miyoko Schinner's Artisan Vegan Cheese  cookbook. My first attempt was a cashew brie cheese, which was very well received. I brought it to a friend's home movie night and we spread the brie on warm-from-the-oven bread and paired it with some guava butter I made a couple weeks ago and with the lavender peach preserves I made that day. The vegans and non-vegans both loved it. In fact, Gen bought some real cheese for movie night and no one touched it, but my cheese was gone by the end of the night! Some problems I had: I couldn't find unsweetened almond yogurt in stores, so I bought amande plain cultured almondmilk, which is sweetened with fruit juice concentrate. It actually isn't ...

Dinosaur Egg Pluot Conserve

This jam is sweet, bright, and a very pretty orange-pink color. I halved the pluots so that they would retain more of their shape as the flesh broke down. This resulted in nice big chunks of pluot. Dinosaur Egg Pluot Conserve Yield: about 4 half pints 4 cups (2lbs) pluots, pitted and roughly chopped 2 cups sugar 1/3 cup lemon juice 1/3 cup thinly sliced lemon peel or zest only Combine pluots, sugar, lemon juice, and lemon peel in a large saucepot. Slowly bring to a boil while stirring to dissolve sugar. Cook rapidly to gelling point, stir frequently to prevent sticking. Skim foam. Ladle hot jam into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace, adjust two-piece caps, process 15 minutes in a boiling water bath. Boiling pluots, sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest See those big chunks! For the boiling water bath, I use the tamalera steamer that mum gave me for making tamales; it's the perfect size.